08 October 2010

So, Why Am I Here?

“Research is formalized curiosity. It is poking and prying with a purpose.”


~Zora Neale Hurston, Harlem Renaissance writer

I wholeheartedly agree with Zora Neale Hurston’s definition of research, regardless of the subject. Being selected as the Volunteer Maryland Coordinator for the 2010-2011 service year at the Banneker-Douglass Museum, has granted me access to satisfy my own “curiosity” about African American history, museum operations, and…myself.

For those who may not know, my name is Joyell Johnson and will be working with the Education and Public Programs manager, Genevieve Kaplan, as the museum’s Volunteer Maryland Coordinator. The Banneker-Douglass Museum has partnered with Volunteer Maryland, a second year, to enhance its volunteer program by recruiting and supervising volunteers. Excitement does not begin to describe my attitude about working with the Banneker-Douglass Museum; I am ecstatic and optimistic about what the coming year entails.

I recently graduated from Washington College, located on Maryland’s Eastern Shore, with my Bachelor of Arts degree in Humanities and concentration in Black Studies. I have been a resident of Kent County for ten years and previously grew up in Europe. While at Washington College, I was a 2009 Comegys Bight Fellow and my research topic was “The Evolution of the African American Woman: The Mammy Caricature.” The research I conducted was instrumental for the research project I am currently completing, “The Evolution of the African American Woman: From Mammy to Michelle Obama.” I hope to pursue this topic further in graduate school next fall. Like the museum, I am also committed to preserving African American history, which is why I plan to earn my Ph.D. in the field.

I feel honored to be added to the team at the Banneker-Douglass Museum, even if for a short time.

No comments: